St. Johns County was established in 1821. It is one of the two original counties established after Florida was ceded to the United States, at the start of the Florida Territorial period, and corresponded roughly with the former colonial province of East Florida. It was named for the St. Johns River, which runs along its western border.
Today, the western area of St. Johns County (the area south of CR208, west of I95 all the way down to CR206) is primarily made up of farms and residential bedroom communities for those who commute to St. Augustine or Jacksonville. Along CR13 north and south many waterfront properties are situated along the mighty St. Johns River.
This area is of particular interest to home owners seeking acreage and nature.