Fleming Island is an unincorporated community in Clay County, just minutes outside the Orange Park city limits, located on the western side of the St. Johns River, off US Hwy 17. Fleming Island was an area of Florida settled by Irish immigrant, George Fleming (1760-1821), who received a 1,000-acre land grant from the Spanish governor of East Florida for his military service. George Fleming built a plantation in 1790 and it was named Hibernia Plantation (in what is now Hibernia, Florida), after the Latin word for Ireland.
In 1942, when the area was undeveloped, the U.S. Navy constructed four asphalt runways on the site and established a Naval Outlying Field designated as NOLF Fleming Island, an auxiliary airfield to Naval Air Station Jacksonville. The Navy abandoned the auxiliary airfield in the 1960s, its runways too short to accommodate the jet aircraft then in operation at nearby NAS Jacksonville and NAS Cecil Field, and in the late 1990s the decaying runways were demolished to make way for current residential development.
Today, Fleming Island is primarily a bedroom community of nearby Jacksonville. Major developments include Eagle Harbor, Pace Island and Fleming Island Plantation, incl. Fleming Island High School, which opened in 2003.
Fleming Island ranks among the wealthiest ZIP codes in the Jacksonville area, ranking #2 after Ponte Vedra Beach. Residents enjoy an 8-foot-wide sidewalk running the length of Fleming Island, providing about 7 miles of walking, jogging and biking. Black Creek Park on the south end of the Fleming Island borders Black Creek and affords bikers and hikers nature trails. On the north end of Fleming Island, a park for children recently opened at Moccasin Slough on Westover Road just off Highway 17. Nature lovers can visit Moccasin Slough. The Pace formerly owned by the Moccasin Slough family at one time dug a canal almost all the way to Doctors Lake. Area residents can enjoy the benefits of their labor, as it is still navigable among the swampy portions by canoe or small boat.